The ThruPort knot pusher is intended for use in thoracic surgery in advancing throws of extracorporeal knots to a surface or object into the thoracic cavity.
The following instructions are recommended for proper use of the ThruPort knot pusher.
- Snap in or thread one end of the suture through the knot pusher eyelet
- Hold the knot pusher in one hand and the free arm of the suture in the other while the assistant provides tension to the stationary arm; make a throw
- Apply tension to both arms of the suture, and advance the knot pusher such that the throw and both suture arms fall into the groove of the knot pusher tip
- Push the throw down the suture arm until the throw is fully seated; saline can be used to lubricate the suture and knot pusher if needed
- Retract the knot pusher from the thoracic cavity while maintaining tension to both arms of the suture