Transcatheter Heart Valves
Surgical Heart Valves
Heart Valve Repair
Minimal Incision Valve Surgery
Advanced Hemodynamic Monitoring
Critical Care Professionals
Minimal Incision AVR Professionals
Minimal Incision MVR Professionals
Patient Web Sites
What We Do
Financial Relationships with Physicians
Meet Our Employees
Agencies / Recruiters
Health Economics & Reimbursement
United States - English
Brazil - Português
China - 中文简体
Europe - Deutsch
Europe - English
Europe - Español
Europe - Français
Europe - Italiano
Japan - 日本語
Carpentier-Edwards Physio II
Carpentier-Edwards Physio Tricuspid
Edwards MC3 Tricuspid
Cardiovascular Surgery FAQ
Heart Valve News
Report from NPR
2006 ACC / AHA Guidelines
Heart Valve Repair
Carpentier-Edwards Physio II
Carpentier-Edwards Physio II Annuloplasty Ring
Invented by Alain F. Carpentier, MD, PhD and David H. Adams, MD
This ring offers the security of a proven design based on forty years of experience in mitral valve reconstruction.
Integrating fifteen years of new learning about mitral valve anatomy and physiology, the next generation Carpentier-Edwards Physio II ring helps surgeons repair without limits.
Any annulus, any patient
Global shape optimization
: evolves from the native D-shape to a more circular shape to accommodate the pathological changes in mitral annular dimensions.
configuration: maximizes the distribution of stress across the reconstructed mitral valve.
Ease for every implant
Designed by surgeons to improve the implant experience.
design offers a 40% improvement in sewing margin.
removal offers quick ring detachment from the holder.
improves visualization and line-of-sight to the mitral valve.
on the holder permit direct visualization of the repaired coaptation line.
offers remodeling with flexibility.
Based on over 100,000 implants of the Carpentier-Edwards Physio ring.
Clinical efficacy demonstrated by 7,000 published patient-years.
Ease of use sizers
designed to optimize ease of use
Extended length handle provides optimal access in MIS or traditional procedures
Ergonomic grip enhances sizer handling
Indicated for use in patients with mitral valve insufficiency
Any quotes used in this material are taken from independent third-party publications and are not intended to imply that such third party reviewed or endorsed any of the products of Edwards Lifesciences.
1. Based on the first remodeling ring annuloplasty performed by Prof. Carpentier in 1968. See Carpentier A. La valvuloplastie reconstitutive. Une nouvelle technique de valvuloplastie mitrale. Presse Med. 1969 ; 77 :251-3.
2. Filsoufi F and Carpentier AC. Principles of reconstructive surgery in degenerative mitral valve repair. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;19:103-110.
3. Jensen M et al. Saddle-shaped mitral valve annuloplasty rings experience lower forces compared with flat rings. Circulation. 2008;118[suppl 1]:S250-S255.
4. Based on comparison with Carpentier-Edwards Physio ring.
5. Based on the implant patient registry maintained by Edwards Lifesciences.
6. Carpentier AF et al. The Physio Ring: an advanced concept. Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60(5):1177-85.
7. Sousa Uva M et al. Initial results of mitral valvuloplasty using the Physio ring. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 1997; 90(6):789-95.
9. Raffoul R et al. Clinical evaluation of the Physio ring. Chest. 1998; 113(5):1296-1301.
9. Casselman FP et al. Mitral valve surgery can now routinely be performed endoscopically. Circulation. 2003; 108[suppl II]:48-54.
10. Bax JJ et al. Restrictive annuloplasty and coronary revascularization in ischemic mitral regurgitation results in reverse left ventricular remodeling. Circulation. 2004:110(suppl II)103-8.
11. Accola KD et al. Midterm outcomes using the Physio ring in mitral valve reconstruction: experience in 492 patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 79(4):1276-83.
12. Chan DT et al. Mitral valve annuloplasty with Carpentier-Edwards Physio ring: Mid-term results. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2006; 14:382-6.
13. Seeburger J et al. Minimal invasive mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation: results of 1339 consecutive patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008; 34(4):760-5.
14. Braun J et al. Restrictive mitral annuloplasty cures ischemic mitral regurgitation and heart failure. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85:430-7.
15. Perier P et al. Toward a new paradigm for the reconstruction of posterior leaflet prolapse: midterm results of the “respect rather than resect” approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 86:718-25.
16. Geidel S et al. Restrictive mitral valve annuloplasty for chronic ischemic mitral regurgitation: a 5-year clinical experience with the Physio ring. Heart Surg Forum. 2008; 11(4):E225-30.
David H Adams MD
First US Implant
Posterior Leaflet Prolapse
CAUTION: Federal (United States) law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician. See instructions for use for full prescribing information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions and adverse events.
| © 2015 Edwards Lifesciences Corporation. All rights reserved.